I Didn't Know I Did This


Ever since I started to ride horses, back in 2002, I  always looked no further than their head and ears. while in the saddle and cueing the horse.

 I wanted to make sure the horse  willingly was walking and moving forward.  I guess I couldn't believe this ride was accepted by my horse.   I had to make sure i was walking....straight not crooked.  Do horses walked crooked? They walk without direction but not crooked.

Do not ride a horse and focus on the top of their head looking down at their ears.  Why?  They need a leader and they need to know you have a direction and plan to take them on this ride they are allowing you to take.  I came upon this statement from a a a facebook friend who just came back from a riding .clinic in Winnipeg.  Her professional horse trainer told her that   "You'll do great just keep looking ahead!" The horses ears are not going to fall off. (got it).

I rode my horse the other night and I did not  look down, I did not ride with my eyes focused on her head and ears.  I kept looking ahead, to our next step,  the next corner.   It was a very solid paced ride because I was telling her what I wanted to do.  Her ears are always attached to her head they will not come off so I do not need to watch them.  lol!  what a good teaching statement!

This sounds so silly!  It's so important.  I can't walk down the street looking at a sidewalk or the ground all the time.  I can tell if I am in trouble just with my quick glances and peripheral vision. Same with riding.  It's important to read the ear position but not to constantly stare at them like the ears are coming unglued.

  • must always look ahead 
  •  observe as you ride
  •  horse's ears communicate
  • pointing forward
  • or pointing back
  • or straight up
  • do not focus on the ears as you ride
  • look ahead and the horse will know you are looking out for him 
  • you are a leader.


Horses often rely on their ears and eyes to communicate with each other, according to a recent study. The animals' eye direction and their large, mobile ears can be used to tell another horse where to direct its attention, which can be beneficial in locating food and avoiding predators.Aug 5, 2014

watch for these angles





VISION

Horses were believed to have poor vision and be short sighted but they actually have very good binocular vision with a tendency towards long vision. It's logical to think that given a horse's wide vision range, they are able to see a rider on their backs however a rider is in the horse's blind spot.

This is going to make my rides more in control and my horse Gracie will know I am the "director" and she can trust me.  When you understand the horse and what their messages are in the pasture then once you saddle up that horse needs to understand your cues and working as a team is what it is all about.

No comments:

new website

This blog will stay as an archive. I am posting over here now: The Flash Speaks See you in the new place!