Mothers Day and Loss

Mother's Day is Sunday! 
 I feel the pressure, the expectations, 
and then I remember it is just a
day that celebrates a Mother.
well...
It hits a mark for so many of us and losing a child
is just a bull's eye for some pain, guilt, anger, why me? (emotions)
I like to think I can handle this day like others, I have accepted it as is,
it doesn't fix anything so...


 So I needed to do some history first:

  • On May 10, 1908, three years after her mother's death, Anna Jarvis held a memorial ceremony to honor her mother and all mothers at Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church.
  • In 1914, Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation designating Mother's Day, held on the second Sunday in May, as a national holiday to honor mothers.
  • Although Jarvis was successful in founding Mother's Day, she became resentful of the commercialization of the holiday.  She would later denounce the holiday's commercialization and spent the latter part of her life trying to remove it from the calendar.
  • Mother's Day is the second most-popular holiday for gift-giving, following Christmas.
  • Hallmark began creating and producing Mother's Day card in the early 1920s.
                                       


    I am blessed to still have my mother here with me and I do celebrate her!

    however.....


    I decided to make myself a personal gift and pull out a couple of Mother's Day cards
    and early photos of myself, with Graham and Tommy.  I lost Graham 15 years ago so it does me good to have these pictures and Mother's Day cards to look upon.

    makes my heart smile!


    (Graham meets Tommy for the first time)





     The Great Sandhills in Southwest Saskatchewan
    This was a very fun day together!


    I have no advice really for getting through Mother's Day.
     as it can make me feel 
    inadequate still and just because I lost a child and the reminders of women and men who have not lost,
    sure seems to stick!

    Plan for it!
    Acknowledge the feelings!

    I do honour Mothers,  do not misunderstand me and this day.
     I make sure I do things that make me
    honour myself and appreciation that I am still a Mom
     and I have my blessing, Tommy who
    looks after me and loves me well!

    Happy Mother's Day! 
    You deserve this celebration.



    No comments:

    new website

    This blog will stay as an archive. I am posting over here now: The Flash Speaks See you in the new place!